Kitchen Garden Guides

Saturday, May 7, 2022

February 2019 Kitchen Garden Guide

 

It has been quite difficult to think about anything other than the fires these last few days. Air quality has ranged from moderate to hazardous and back again, as the smoke settles then shifts. (Check out aqicn.org for real time air quality world wide). What does this mean for our gardens? Many plants shut down during such conditions so if you are noticing reduced vigour and fruit set, this is probably why. Time will set them right again, hopefully! Some of our native plants respond by opening cones and seed pods, having evolved to respond to fire reducing competition and in anticipation of better chances of survival.

My tomato experiment

I planted 5 tomatoes in each of 3 different situations in my garden. Here are the results so far:

1.   Planted in a well prepared and deep hay mulched bed surrounded by self sown nasturtiums, calendular, sweet cicely and rocket, and edged by garlic chives, sage, horse radish and Chilean guavas. These tomatoes produced good sized, ripe tomatoes very quickly. I have had to water only a couple of times so far. The plants are healthy but shorter than I expect at this time. They are mostly laden to breaking point with tomatoes but the one near the horseradish is not so great. Difficult to water the whole bed because I cannot use the sprinkler on the tomatoes.

2.   Planted in a regular, unmulched garden bed where I had dug in weeds and other finished greenery well before panting time and added the same things as in the first bed. The tomato plants are tall and strong but have needed a lot of watering. Now I have mulched them this may improve. Only 2 ripe cherry tomatoes and one other but nothing more yet. Fruit are slow and quite sparse.

3.   Planted into a bed where I had tomatoes last year and with not as much preparation as I usually do but I ran out of time to do more just then. Lightly mulched. Next to 2 purple sprouting broccoli that I have left so I can gather seed. These are not very happy but have produced a few smaller than average ripe tomatoes. They have not drooped at all so I have not watered as much as bed 2.

What this tells me, in a rough and ready kind of way, is that, unlike my previous understanding, tomatoes love companions. Under the right conditions they will need very little water to produce excellent fruits, right from the start. What it also highlights is that it is good not to have all your eggs in one basket because, if there had been a lot of rain instead of being dry, then bed one may have suffered from so much wet foliage all around the tomatoes and bed 2 may have been the best 😊

Making use of old terracotta pots for watering

When it is hot and dry, it is time for the terracotta pot treatment. I seal up the hole in the bottom of some old, chipped terracotta pots by sticking something over it with silicon, put them into the ground up to their necks and filled them with water, then put on a lid and let the water soak out into soil that I have watered well, to get it started. Keep refilling the pots. In Adelaide, I planted lettuce seedlings around some pots then celery and beans around another. This kept 5 lettuce plants growing happily through a heatwave (2 weeks over 40C and humidity at 3%) and I even went out and could pick leaves in the hottest part of the day, and they were crisp......amazing. The beans grew fast and strong and the celery was the best I had ever grown and only went to seed after 6 months of eating the stems piece by piece, all through summer and beyond ...that's pretty good!

Cucumbers

I was very organised in one area of my garden! In a spot that is too shady in winter for brassicas, I sowed broad beans only for the purpose of digging them in just as they began to flower, as a green manure. (I had broad beans for eating, elsewhere). This I did in October, adding a whole bag of sheep manure and some locally made biochar as I dug. In December I sprinkled around some potash and planted out some Dragon’s Egg cucumber seedlings from the Seed Freaks open day. They burst into growth and have produced heaps of little, apple cucumbers which are crisp and delicious. Originating in Croatia, this variety is a winner for Tasmania even in slightly shady spots. I will be saving these seeds for sure. They would be lovely on a frame, with the prolific eggs hanging below….a perfect use for my winter bamboo harvest.

Pear and cherry slug

If you see tiny little black ‘worms’ on the leaves of your pears, cherries, quinces and even plums and the leaves are turning brown and crisp, you have this slug. A simple control is to spray the entire tree with a mist of water then throw ash or lime all over it. Do this a couple of times and they will be desiccated. Try to stand up-wind!

To water young trees

To water fruit or other important trees: Buy a roll of the porous, black hose made from recycled tyres. Run it around THE DRIP LINE of the tree (where the roots are!), not near the trunk (where the roots are not!). Join into a circle with a T-piece that has a click on fitting so you can connect your hose to it. Cover with thick, preferably woody mulch. These ooze very slowly so leave it running for 3 or more hours, until the soil is wet down at least 30cms because that is where the roots should be. Do this once a month to encourage deep roots.

 

 

Seeds to sow now

Broccoli raab

Kale

Beetroot

Shungiku

Lettuce

Asian greens (late Feb.)

Carrots

Spinach & silver beet

Spring onions

Hakurei turnips

Tas. swedes

Parsnips

Radishes

Plant out now, yes now, not later

Brussel sprouts

Cauliflower

Broccoli – regular, sprouting and raab

Lettuce

 

Jobs for February

Plant or move citrus

Summer prune stone fruits

Prepare beds for autumn plantings

Save seeds for next spring

Enjoy your garden!

 

No comments: