Kitchen Garden Guides

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A meadow in a vase

I asked what I could bring... she hesitated then said "Flowers.... from your garden, please".

So, while the dew was still holding on and the morning air crisp with a touch of autumn, I took my flower-picking basket and the secateurs out into the garden.

The first thing I saw through my flower eyes was a stand of tall leek stalks, in full bloom. Snip, snip, snip as 3 of the balls fell into my hand. Next, the vivid blue of chicory flowers, on long, waving stems. More snips. Out through the Pickle gate to the long, narrow bed next to my window.... lavenders, 3 or 4 kinds, all looking magnificent for a basket of tall stemmed flowers.

image Then I had to make a decision.... was this going to be a rainbow of yellows and reds and blues and pinks or would a more natural, autumnal feel be better? I glanced around and realised that the rainbow flowers all had short stems and I was doing long stems.... it would have to be the natural look of the meadow, highlighted with the lavenders and such..... I think it turned out beautifully.

 

Into my mind sprang a comment made by a visitor yesterday "You have let parts of this garden get away from you." I was shocked, dismayed and a little annoyed "No! I have let parts of this garden come to me." I replied. And come it has. In France it is common to let a patch of your land relax and become a meadow, cutting it only once the seeds have dropped and the old life finished. Look at these photos, see what I saw this morning and tell me if you think it would look better as a flat, green, mown canvas or as this painting of life and haven for insects, birds..... and Pickle's lost ball!

image






My seat by the pond.
image
image image
image image image
image image image
image image

1 comment:

africanaussie said...

what a lovely thought - to let the garden come to you. It seems to me you are doing everything right :) What a beautiful bunch of flowers you picked.