Kitchen Garden Guides

Monday, April 2, 2012

Millet

Maybe I am running a bit late but I have just discovered how delicious and versatile millet can be. It is totally by accident because the organic, Australian millet I sell, which comes from Four Leaf Milling, is approaching its use by date and I have 10 kgs of it!! Previously I have put it in soups and made porridge with it....

At the same time, I cook a week's meals for a vegetarian family here in Cygnet and, having lots of parsley, tomatoes and lemons at the moment, I thought I'd make them a big bowl of tabouli.... meanwhile the wheels of my brain started working as I ran my hands through the tiny, golden millet seeds....

My 17,000 cook books are totally devoid of creative millet ideas so it was to the internet I ran and found this wonderful recipe for Toasted Millet Tabouli. So far, I have only toasted the millet and simmered it for 20 minutes, until the liquid is all absorbed but I had to go outside to pick some herbs and when I returned the aroma of toasted millet lured me to the cutlery drawer. I fluffed the grains with a fork, as one does for couscous, then tasted the result..... oh lalala! Why do we buy bland couscous when we could be eating this??


It is a really good idea to eat a variety of grains and to reduce one's dependence on wheat, which, broadly speaking, has been developed for ease of farming rather than for its health properties to humans, in the last hundred years.

This fluffy, toasted millet will be a regular on my menu from now on.

2 comments:

Daffodil said...

Looks delicious! I actually have a packet of millet in my pantry which I ground and add to spelt flour dough for d´lish bread.

Thank you for sharing!

Maggie said...

Hi Kate,
Millet after you have now prepared it is great as the base for all sorts of stuffed veggies eg capsicums, tomatoes, zucchini.
Add herbs, chopped onion, egg, cheese whatever.
Cooked millet can also be used as the base of all sorts of veggie burgers.
Have fun in the garden.