Kitchen Garden Guides

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Seed sharing event in Amsterdam

Thanks to Patrick, at Bifurcated Carrots, for sharing this little video of a wonderful day of seed sharing. Wouldn't it be exciting to have one of these in Tasmania (and in every state of Australia)! I might make it my goal for the next 2 years to make this happen.

Tasmanian families have some of the longest Australian heritage in our country; having stayed put since their ancestors arrived as convicts, sailors or farmers in the late 1700's. In fact, I found a coin in my garden.... dated 1792!! There must be a treasure trove of seeds here, but as in so many rural places, generations of growing food and saving seeds is just an ordinary part of life to them..... but to me it is exciting and liberating and what makes me get up in the morning!

No comments: